Why I started blogging and is it worth it?
Everyone has a different reason to start a blog, but if you are new to this online world, you may question if blogging as a side hustle is worth your precious time when you have a full-time job. So let me tell you why I started blogging, and why you should consider starting your own blog too.
For me, it was personal, it wasn’t just an idea. But as it turned out during my blogging journey, I found many more reasons for it.
Why I started blogging?
My story is unusual. I didn’t start this blog for myself, I had someone else’s happiness in mind.
My wife suffers from two chronic conditions that completely debilitated her life. From being a full-time dancer, choreographer, and performer, my wife turned into a part-time medical secretary working from home.
She’s lost her beautiful dancing career, her dance school, and her business.
From being extremely fit and healthy, my wife became a chronically ill person who struggles with everyday tasks. Endometriosis and fibromyalgia took away her quality of life.
But why did I start blogging? To help my wife feel better!
I started this blog as a way to connect with other people who suffer from chronic conditions. I wanted my wife to feel less alone, to know that she was not the only one struggling. And I wanted to help her feel better by sharing our story and providing helpful resources.
I needed to learn more about both conditions in order to grasp some kind of understanding of what she is going through on a daily basis.
But most of all, I have learned that blogging is also a great way to make money. I needed to do it in order to help my wife with our finances. Because the medical bills, loss of work, and other expenses associated with chronic illness can be very costly.
Why do I love blogging?
I love blogging because of the friendships and connections with professionals in the field associated with endometriosis and the connections with other bloggers who blog about fibromyalgia, chronic illness, and other topics.
- I love blogging because it gives me a creative outlet. I can be myself, I can share my story, and I can help other caregivers like me who are looking for information and support.
- I love blogging because it has allowed me to help my wife in ways that I never thought possible.
- I love blogging because it allows working from home and being there for your partner when they need you the most.
- I love blogging because I want to help others who are going through similar experiences. I want to raise awareness about endometriosis and fibromyalgia.
I love blogging for all of the above reasons but I also love it because I am passionate about working online, it is my hobby, although I treat it more seriously.
I blog because…
I started my health blog to help male partners of chronically ill women find a way to cope and support them in the new normal. Focusing on the reader’s needs is always going to be my priority, but I started my second blog because of my love for blogging.
I dare to say I am obsessed with blogging!
I wanted to own a blogging business and have a blogging career instead of working 9 to 5. I wanted to run multiple blogs, and now I do!
I started my second blog only when my first blog began to pick up traffic organically.
Many bloggers fail because of their lack of patience. It took my health blog to get noticed by search engines after two years of blogging. That is bad. But it took so long because of the lack of knowledge about search engine optimization (SEO for short).
I blog because I don’t want to belong to the 95% of bloggers who fail.
Blogging isn’t a hobby, it is a long-term investment that pays off as long as you are willing to put in the work and be patient.
I blog because I want to show other bloggers that it is possible to make a full-time income.
I personally like solving all these technical difficulties, I enjoy learning ever-evolving SEO. Google algorithms constantly change, but that doesn’t scare me.
Despite the obstacles and my family’s disbelief that I could ever make a penny off my blog, I wanted to prove that you can. This is another reason why I started blogging.
Is blogging worth it?
In the digital age of artificial intelligence, it’s never been easier to start a blogging career, even if you don’t have amazing writing skills.
I always repeat that blogging isn’t a hobby anymore, but it is in fact, a business that takes time, dedication, and consistency to grow. Any business takes time to grow. A blog is no different. It can take years to make any decent money.
The answer is yes, blogging is worth it! If you’re patient enough and you don’t give up blogging, eventually, your blog will begin to make money. It is as simple as that.
So why do 95% of bloggers fail?
I’m not going to lie and say that it is easy to make a living off of blogging. It’s not. It takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and consistency to grow a successful blog. However, if you’re one of the few that is willing to put in the work, then yes, blogging is definitely worth it!
- Are you thinking about starting a blog?
- If so, why?
- Do you have any questions about blogging?
Let me know in the comments below! But before I let you go, here’s a quick guide on how to start a blog…
How to start a blog?
Starting a blog isn’t rocket science, but this is the most difficult part. Beginner bloggers fall into a trap of endless watching of motivational YouTube videos on how much money can a blog make totally missing the point.
Watching videos won’t make you money – starting a blog will!
Here’s how you should do it:
- Choose your blogging platform. I recommend WordPress as it is the most popular blogging platform in the world and it is free.
- Choose your hosting provider. I recommend HostGator as it is one of the most popular hosting providers in the world and it is very affordable. Plus, if you use my link, you will get a free domain name!
- Install WordPress on your hosting account. Again, if you use my link, Bluehost will do it for you for free!
- Choose a theme for your blog. I recommend Genesis Framework as it is one of the most popular themes in the world and it is very versatile.
- Install plugins on your blog. I recommend Yoast SEO and Jetpack as they are the most popular plugins in the world and they are essential for any WordPress blog.
- Start writing content! This is the most important part. You need to write quality content that your readers will love.
- Promote your content. You need to promote your content on social media, in forums, and on other blogs.
- Make money from your blog. You can do this by selling products, affiliate marketing, or through sponsorships.
These are the 8 steps you need to take to start a successful blog. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below and I will be happy to help you out!
Przemo Bania is a blogger and writer who helps people get out of their traditional jobs to start a blogging career. Przemo also runs a health blog advocating for endometriosis and fibromyalgia…